Friday, January 22, 2010

The "Rip Cord"

“Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson
***
Emerson is right on! I learned first hand this past summer that if you face your fear head on, you claim power over it. Fear is elicited either instinctually or emotionally. Fear that is elicited instinctually serves as a survival mechanism for living creatures. Instinctual fear allows one to have a heighten awareness of their environment. It is instinctual fear that gives rise to the most basic element of survival; the fight or flight mechanism.


Like instinctual fear, emotional fear has a protective basis. Emotional fear serves to protect one's ego. Emotional fear holds you back: it's the fear of success; it's the fear of failure; it's the fear of being rejected; it's the fear of letting go; it's the fear of not being capable of doing something, it's the fear of embarrassment, the list goes on. The basis of emotional fear is the unknown. You see, emotional fear is elicited when you are challenged to step outside of your comfort zone. The more you stay in your comfort zone, the more power you give to emotional fear. Your comfort zone is your known zone; things are relatively safe, comfortable, and predictable. When you allow emotional fear to operate and thrive in your comfort zone, you become a victim; a victim of missed opportunities, opportunities that could lead to growth and development, and a more exciting and enriching life.


This past summer at Michigan's Adventure Amusement Park, I experienced two very important life lessons. The first being, that if you do the thing that you fear, the death of fear is certain. The second and more important lesson was that the emotion of love is much stronger than the emotion of fear.


Each summer we make the annual trek to Michigan Adventure. Each year, I look with amazement and trepidation at an 18 story, steel structure called the "Rip Cord." The “Rip Cord” is a top attraction at the park. On the ride, riders in groups of 1 to 3 are fitted in a harness and winched to the top of a launch tower, 183 feet above ground. On command, a rider pulls a cord and the riders are dropped toward the ground; a cable tether swings the riders in a pendulum motion until brought to a stop.


My two daughters have experienced the “Rip Cord” on other occasions. This year was to be my son’s first experience on the ride. The plan was to have my daughters and son ride together. I was excited for my son because he had his heart set on riding the “Rip Cord.” He had talked about it for weeks before the trip. Things don’t always go as planned. My daughters went on the ride with one of their friends. My son was left out. I reassured him that he would be able to ride the ride later in the day. Fast forward to later in day. I tried to convince, plead with, and bribe my daughters to go on the ride one more time, this time with their brother. Both were well worn out from the day and did not have enough of the excitement factor to go on the ride one more time. My son was quite disappointed. Although he said it was alright with him, and tried his best to cover it up, you could see right through his facade.


I had always thought about experiencing the “Rip Cord.” But, as each summer would have it, I would allow my fear to take control, and keep me in my comfort zone. You see, when I actually gave it some serious thought, panic, terror, fear, call it what you will, overcame me and seized the moment. This year had to be different! For the sake of my son, I had to confront this fear head on. So, I agreed to go on the ride with him. As we waiting for the ride, fear prompted me to kept look for an escape route, or for some type of excuse for getting out of the ride. However, something kept telling me, you must do this for you son.


As we were being winched to the top of the ride, I told my son of how terrified I was, but he was the reason I was on the ride. At the top of the ride, I told my son that love is a stronger emotion than fear, and it was because I loved him so much, that love could conquer fear. He told me he loved me too and with that he pulled the cord. Away the two of us flew, flying head first toward the ground. The cable caught us and we began to enter into the swinging mode of the ride. The worst was over. Love had conquered fear and fear had turned to exhilaration.
As the ride came to a stop, I could not help but feeling a sense of accomplishment. What a proud moment; my son and I had just rode the “Rip Cord” together.


I'll always remember that day; the day the love prevailed over fear. It was also the day that I learned first hand that if you do the thing you fear, the death of fear is certain. I ask you, what are the “Rip Cords” in your life? Are you allowing fear to hold you back, to keep you in your comfort zone? I’m so pleased that last summer, I stepped outside of my comfort zone. I no longer fear the “Rip Cord. The “Rip Cord” no longer has power over me.

Next summer, guess who will be first person in line to ride the “Rip Cord."

***
It's your life: live it, love it & celebrate it!
MJD






No comments: